Sunday, April 06, 2008

coach K gave me a virus

For most of the last week, I've been sick. A hacking cough has been the main problem, but a fever came along with it for a couple of days. I'm pretty sure I can trace all this back to Mike Krzyzewski.

I covered the opening rounds of the NCAA tournament in Washington, D.C. One of the teams involved was Duke. The Blue Devils had a rough weekend, with a near loss to Belmont in the first game and a second-round loss to West Virginia. One of the stories on the opening day was the sickness of their coach, Krzyzewski, who had just about lost his voice before the opening press conference and reportedly coached the opening game with a 104 degree fever.

I never actually talked to Krzyzewski, but I did talk to most of the Duke players in the locker room, including DeMarcus Nelson, who spent most of the weekend coughing his way through answers to the questions posed to him. About a week after all that, my cough started to show up, and the week-long adventure of dealing with a virus started.

I'm convinced I caught a Duke virus, which doesn't make me any more inclined to root for the Blue Devils in the future. I am wondering, however, if I can somehow make some money off putting it up on eBay.

No comments: