Thursday, August 02, 2007

travel costs

I found some notes for blog entries I made while traveling which never got up here. The first one:

I'm not quite sure exactly how some of the people we met while traveling bankrolled their trips. I know people here weren't sure how we bankrolled ours (we worked in New Zealand, had some money saved, and used some credit cards). There were, I'm sure, people whose parents were paying for it. The English just saved up some money and then saw its value double or triple once they started exchanging pounds into other currencies. Other people had obviously laid out money for a round-the-world ticket and then squeaked by on odd jobs and low standards. We met a couple of people who had bought or inherited property they were renting, and using that income to travel.

One German guy we met in New Zealand had an even better system. He'd simply registered for classes. I didn't verify the details, but according to him Germany not only gave him free tuition, but also a living stipend and insurance as a student. So he simply wasn't showing up for his classes, since he happened to be about 11,000 miles away.

No comments: