Monday, August 29, 2005

the flight

Timing-wise, this worked out well. The plane took off just after sunset Sunday, and about 12 hours later, it landed just before sunrise (Tuesday). Sleep on the plane wasn't necessarily restful, but there was some; I was probably awake for six or seven hours of the flight.
Customs was ridiculously easy. The lady looked at my passport and entry card with a scowl, same for the printout of my electronic visa, but stamped a 12-month work permit in my passport. Kirsten said her officer said Kirsten's visa wasn't in the system, but gave her the permit anyway. No checking of the supposed requirements - they didn't ask to see proof of funds or health insurance.
The quarantine officers weren't any different. I told them I'd been on a farm and hiking in the last month (both questions on the entry card that sent you to the "something to declare" line). They wanted to know only if I had hiking boots with me. A negative response, and I was waved through. Kirsten had hiking boots, which sent her into a different line and delayed her about a minute and a half for boot inspection.
A shuttle into the city dropped us off right at our hostel, to which I am eternally grateful for allowing us to check in before 7 a.m. Four or five more hours of sleep and I'm up at noon - right back on my regular schedule.

Jetlag? What jetlag?

No comments: