Sunday, July 13, 2008

Vancouver


Vancouver
Originally uploaded by ecstaticist
I want to move to Vancouver.

It's not an unusual feeling to get back from vacation and wish you could return to the destination, to once again free yourself from your day-to-day life with different geography. I'm sure there's some of this in my desire to return to Vancouver. Certainly the city showed me its very best - the entire time we were there, I basked in sunshine and just-right summer temperatures.

But there's more to it than that. Even though I keep moving East or South, at heart I want to be on the West Coast. And Vancouver has advantages no other city has (although with two big disadvantages that I'm going to list right here: 1) the weather can't always be this good, and I'm fairly sure most of the time it's downright bad; and 2) my first day I wandered through neighborhoods which literally reeked of desperation and poverty (well, they literally reeked of urine, mostly, but the other things too). It's a little jarring to go directly from the shopping districts of downtown, decide to return by going one block in a different direction, and end up picking your way through people with needles sticking out of their arm. D.C. certainly has its share of problems, but it seemed to be more visible in Vancouver, or maybe we just haven't taken such a wrong turn in D.C.).

The advantages start with the surrounding natural scenery. The city runs right up against the mountains to the north, which rise right up out of the harbor. Downtown opens onto a large wooded peninsular park, which is bordered by a waterfront walk and a number of surprisingly good (but small) beaches.

The neighborhoods (outside of the aforementioned skid row, which actually had a couple of hostels I later saw advertised online and could only cringe at the thought of some of the unsuspecting travelers who must have booked there) provided varied experiences, from the downtown towers to the trendy revitalized Gaslight district, to the parks and condos of the West End, to the slightly grungier feel of Commercial Drive. Downtown is compact and walkable. The transport system is serviceable. The sushi place we stumbled onto was amazing.

And there were the beaches. Who knew Vancouver had beaches, especially ones that invited you to throw down a towel and bask in the sun? (There were always plenty of Vancouverites doing just that, but the skin tones betrayed the obvious fact there must not have been many previous weekends with enough sun to bask in.)

My favorite beach was the clothing-optional Wreck Beach, not only for the obvious reasons. Essentially located on the University of British Columbia campus, the beach was packed and had a very fun vibe - from the clothing vendors selling tie-died skirts and wraps (an interesting business, selling clothes to nudists) to the food vendors (personally, I'd wear clothes while operating a barbeque grill, but that's just me) to the masses of people chilling out on the beach, or enjoying the water, or playing sports on the beach. Very easy-going vibe, and about half of the crowd split onto either side of the "optional" choice. It's a long way from downtown, where I spent most of my time, and where the more traditional beach-going crowd could be found.

As far as I can tell without doing any research, Vancouver is the only city in the world where beaches and a skiing area are both reachable by public transport. This is nearly everything I've ever wanted in a city, and there's so much more to like. Like the fact it's in Canada, which seems to me to be the U.S.'s relaxed cousin. The stunning visuals. The plethora of dining/shopping/drinking options. Even the hot dogs from the street vendors just seemed better than the hot dogs in D.C. (and they were better, far better - the last time I bought a hot dog from a stand near the mall, the bun was moldy. In D.C. you get a hot dog, and a bun. That's it. In Vancouver I got a sausage, a non-moldy bun as well as grilled peppers and onion. Paradise!)

I did little while in Vancouver other than wander around the streets, eventually find a waterfront, chill out on a beach for a while, then wander the streets some more. I did go to the Museum of Anthropology and gawk at all the examples of totem poles. I also found myself at the Vancouver Gallery of Art at 2 a.m.

The Gallery had an exhibit showcasing comics, animation and video games - a grouping I wanted to see. Then I found out the museum was putting on a special event while I was there, opening its doors from 6 p.m. - 6 a.m. one night, and hosting D.J.s and bands in addition to the exhibit. This made for an excellent night, especially since the gallery was directly across the street from our hotel, so I could stumble home and go straight to bed when I was done with the fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daimon :) Your post is great. I mean, Vancouver is a wonderful and picturesque city, but you also listed and are aware of its "shortcomings".

However, as a Vancouver real estate agent I know very well that city´s adventages are much more dominant than its "darker sides"...reading your post, I am sure you know that as well :)

Finally, I appreciate and enjoyed reading your view on our city! Wish you would enjoy much more of Vancouver and its neighbourhoods soon.Cheers,

Jay