Tuesday, February 26, 2008

ski vacation

Went skiing in Davis, West Virginia this past weekend, my first East-coast skiing experience. Not so bad, although what I'm told is the largest ski area anywhere close to DC is about 2/3 the size of the smallish hill I grew up skiing on.

The weather certainly wasn't great, with fog obscuring the mountain, although it was better than I expected. The night before, it had been 45 and raining. When we actually went up Saturday, it was below freezing and there were a few flakes coming down. The runs were generally wide and smooth, without moguls, although a few had a decent steepness. Early on, they were also generally complete sheets of ice after the previous day's rains. The conditions got a bit better as the day went on for whatever reason - perhaps the ice was broken up by a day's worth of skiiers.

I'm headed back in a couple weeks for another weekend. I'll see what the conditions are like then.

No comments: