Sunday, August 27, 2006

marketing

I know the soundtrack here is slightly different. Not very different - the radio playlists are, I'm guessing, almost identical. However, there are a few songs I know are distinctly Kiwi and probably haven't been heard over there. Therefore, I'm assuming there are a few others I hear regularly and don't know are Kiwi, and don't realize no one else in the world is hearing as often as I am.
It's a self-evident fact, but it's not something I'd ever really thought about before. I've realized, however, Australians and New Zealanders think about it often.
The States is still the ultimate market. It's where the money is, and where the fame is. But at the same time, the Aussies and Kiwis have a bit of a fatalistic streak to them. Someone the other day was amazed I knew who AC/DC was. They didn't realize the band had ever had any sort of profile in the States. Of course, I imagine most Americans had no real idea AC/DC was Australian.
And sometimes the pessimism is warranted. Apparently, one of the biggest Australian rock bands of the late 80s/early 90s was some group called Cold Chisel. If I've ever heard one of their songs, I don't know it.

And another thing, while I'm on the subject of marketing. I haven't seen a Foster's over here at all. There is a lot of Australian beer, but Fosters isn't the common name.
(And one other point on beer: for some reason, the only major U.S. beers to be exported are Budweiser and Miller Genuine Draft. Who struck the deal putting those two together?)

No comments: