Thursday, April 20, 2006

playing games

The mountains on New Zealand's North Island are shy. At least when I come calling.
The first few days I come to see them, they hide. They cover themselves in a veil of white, allowing only a demure peek at their uncovered lower extremities. A day or two later, they may lift the cover a bit to peek out without ever showing their peak, even though they know that's what I'm there to see.
Tongariro, Ngauruhoe, Ruapehu, Taranaki - all the same.
I made three different visits to Tongariro National Park, where the first three mountains I mentioned are located, before ever seeing the top of the mountains. One of those days I was skiing on Ruapehu, and could barely see the surface I was skiing on through the fog.
This past week we were in the Taranaki region, so named for the dominating presence of Mt. Taranaki. It was beautiful country, and the beaches had sun and blue sky. But when we looked behind us toward the mountain, all we saw was cloud.
Until the day we were leaving, when we woke up to see Taranaki unveiled, standing before us.

No comments: