Thursday, November 10, 2005

weather or not

I really should have known better.
I knew this town was nicknamed "Windy Welly" even before I moved here, but I still don't like the wind. Wind was a constant growing up, blowing the dust across the plains, or at least that's how I remember it now whenever I'm chilled by the air rushing across my skin.
Once indoors, though, it is cool to watch the clouds race across the sky. I've realized the cloud formations here are different - I don't think I've ever seen big, billowing, high-altitude clouds of the sort you'll get on a clear day back home. Here, the sky is either completely clear and blue, perhaps with a few wisps of condensation, or it's overcast with a thick, low ceiling of water mist that would be fog if it descended.
I wonder if the peculiar cloud formation is a function of the relatively small landmass surrounded by water. And I wonder if having a small bit of land out in the middle of a lot of ocean also makes it harder to predict the daily weather.
Because the weather forecasts here sure do seem to be crap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is my understanding that the rest of the world finds America's obsession with the weather quite humorous. The French kids who stayed with me in high school were quite amused that we had an entire TV channel devoted to it. In that vein the weather forcasts in France were crap, too.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about an obsession with the weather, but I like to know if I'm going to do my drinking inside or outside on a Saturday.

Anonymous said...

or, for a more serious example, it would be nice to know if it's going to be nice or not the next few days, since we're taking a trip and planning to hike a bit.