Tuesday, October 25, 2005

labour day, not labor day

New Zealand celebrated its Labour Day this weekend, which nicely coincided with a friend's ability to borrow a car, meaning we got out of Wellington and headed up to Napier, about four hours north.

The weekend was supposed to be entirely sunny, but it rained on us during the drive up Friday afternoon, then again Saturday morning - though it cleared off a bit as I drove the three girls around the celebrated area wineries (and found a brewery for myself). Sunday the weather was beautiful, and they went for a hike to see a bird colony, although I decided to stay behind and take the only opportunity I've had since I've been here to watch baseball, the first game of the World Series.

In between there was time to sit on the beach and watch the waves; walk around Napier, which claims to have more Art Deco architecture than anywhere outside of Miami; and hang out with fellow travelers in our hostel, which happened to be a 130-year-old stone prison that had been closed in 1993 and re-utilized. We slept in a narrow stone cell with narrower bunkbeds, complete with iron doors which had huge deadbolts on the outside. It wasn't the nicest place I've ever slept, but it wasn't the worst, either, and at least I could leave the cell when I wanted.
The venue made for some interesting showers, as well. They simply took the old shower block and put in a few stalls with curtains. It was still fairly open, and there was just one big room of showers for the entire hostel.

Monday meant a drive back to Wellington, and more rain. I picked up some temporary work (in an office, but at least its only for a few weeks) so today meant back to work. I liked it a lot better when every day was a work holiday for me.

No comments: